Total Pageviews

Saturday 26 January 2013

Lowcarb Coffee and walnut cake with clotted cream.

 
Ingredients
100 grams of ground almonds
100 grams of walnuts
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon of melted butter
2 tablespoons of double cream

1 tablespoon of instant coffee
100 grams of clotted cream

Method
Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
Melt the butter I used a Pyrex jug, add the eggs, cream. Place 1 tablespoon of instant coffee in a cup and pour some boiling water over the coffee, keep water to a minimum, just enough to melt the coffee. Then add the dry ingredients and mix. Microwave in a 700 watt for 5 minutes in a 
6" x 3" micro-wave safe glass dish. Allow to cool and cut in half. Spread on clotted cream and add walnut halves. Serves four, around five carbs per portion.

Please note this cake is very low in carbs but very high calorie Eddie




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you like coffee and walnuts then this is one of the best recipes. However, I think Eddie may be very generous when he says serves 4. I make this quite regularly, especially for my 'ladies circle' meetings at my local church. Perhaps our appetites are a bit smaller all being aged over 60 but when this is served we can easily get six very nice sized pieces, and my friend recently got eight servings out of one cake. Please be warned it is delicious and although reduced carbohydrate it is quite high in calories, think that is why the ladies prefer a slightly smaller piece.

Grace

Anonymous said...

This cake is gorgeous and you can get six servings from it.

Anne

Diana said...

Eddie,

No one can lose weight on a fat bomb like that.

Lowcarb team member said...

Diana weight is not an issue for me and I suspect many of the people that read this blog. Reducing elevated BG numbers and keeping them low is our aim. Keeping carbs low is very good for losing weight, of course even lowcarbing has it’s limitations and calories do count. I believe you are familiar with the work of  Jean-Pierre Flatt, Ph.D.

Hobbs: Are carbohydrates important in weight control?

Flatt: Yes. Carbohydrates determine the amount of fat that is burned. The more carbohydrates you eat, the less fat you burn. The less carbohydrates you eat, the more fat you burn.

Hobbs: How much fat is burned on a low-carbohydrate diet?

Flatt: A person can burn 150 to 250 grams of fat per day if carbohydrate intake is restricted to 50 grams or less. That is roughly one-third to one-half a pound of fat per day.

Eddie


http://fatnews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/492

Lowcarb team member said...

"No one can lose weight on a fat bomb like that."

Hey Diana I'd rather have low carb fat bomb that has little impact on my BG than feast on starch.

By the way I'm also not a fat lazy slob! My stats: I'm 6ft tall, at diagnosis weight 162lbs, now almost five years on weight 154lbs. Those fat bombs have little impact on my weight despite my high calorie diet.

Works wonders for my cholesterol too.
TC 5.23 Trigs 0.52 HDL 2.04 LDL 2.95 Ratio 2.6

Graham

Anonymous said...

Not quite sure why Diana keeps equating this site with weight loss. It's about blood glucose control (and if we need to lose weight, we'll do that too as a nice side effect).

If you seriously want to understand how carbohydrates affect diabetics, Diana, I'd strongly recommend the book and/or website "Blood Sugar 101".

Indy