Total Pageviews

Sunday 18 August 2013

Are Ketogenic diets beneficial to more than just weight loss,blood glucose control and epilepsy ?

I came across this article this morning and although I personally have not heard about this before I found it very interesting from a personal point of view..

Dr Mercola...

“Could a ketogenic diet eventually be a “standard of care” drug-free treatment for cancer? Personally, I believe it’s absolutely crucial, for whatever type of cancer you’re trying to address, and hopefully some day it will be adopted as a first line of treatment. A ketogenic diet calls for eliminating all but non-starchy vegetable carbohydrates, and replacing them with healthy fats and high-quality protein.

The premise is that since cancer cells need glucose to thrive, and carbohydrates turn into glucose in your body, then lowering the glucose level in your blood though carb and protein restriction literally starves the cancer cells into oblivion. Additionally, low protein intake tends to minimize the mTOR pathway that accelerates cell proliferation.

This type of diet, in which you restrict all but non-starchy vegetable carbs and replace them with low to moderate amounts of high-quality protein and high amounts of beneficial fat, is what I recommend for everyone, whether you have cancer or not. It’s a diet that will help optimize your weight and all chronic degenerative disease. Eating this way will help you convert from carb burning mode to fat burning.”

More on this story here    


Paul

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm no medical person but from the little more knowledge gained in recent years and the benefits I have found with a greatly reduced carbohydrate intake this article does speak a lot of sense.Is it not far better for everyone to cut down on their carbohydrate, sugar intake.

Kate

Anonymous said...

Recommended read
Jeff

Lowcarb team member said...

You really would think it was a sensible precaution wouldn't you Kate? Instead of which we are warned about unknown long term effects ! As if "they" had the perfect diet free from all side effects and clearly benefiting the nations health! Grrrrr

Kath

Lowcarb team member said...

Cancer, above all other diseases, has countless secondary causes. But, even for cancer, there is only one prime cause. Summarized in a few words, the prime cause of cancer is the replacement of the respiration of oxygen in normal body cells by a fermentation of sugar.
—Otto H. Warburg,

He won the Nobel Prize of 1931. In total, he was nominated an unprecedented three times for the Nobel prize for three separate achievements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Heinrich_Warburg

Eddie

Galina L. said...

There are less dramatic situations when ketosis is useful. In my family it is the standard diet now when a flue is coming. I guess it could also be the diet during health emergencies like stroke, infarct, infections, post-operations.

Anonymous said...

Hello Galina

I have not heard of treating or assisting how some one is feeling to help prevent a bad case of flu. You and your family must find this helpful. I do think far more research should be done because so much is now talked about the benefits a much reduced amount of sugar, carbohydrate can do.

Jean

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to add very interesting items on the blog

Jean

Galina L. said...

Jan,
It works. It looks like a LCarb diet normalizes immunity, for example, last time, when I was in Moscow, several people I knew caught a rather nasty flue. I had a sore throat in the morning as well, and didn't feel energetic, but after several days of feeling semi-healthy, I recovered, they didn't. Besides eating mostly eggs, broth , raw garlic and butter, I also tried to sleep more.

Anonymous said...

Hello Galina

Thank you for replying. I think that what we eat and the improvement we can make in our own health is up to us. Like you I eat eggs and butter which at one time I had cut out of my diet. I feel healthier now and are more careful in what I choose to eat

Jean