Total Pageviews

Wednesday 7 August 2013

Uncle Toby and the shit of the 'bull !


Watching the video below, I felt all warm and nostalgic. I could feel the heat from the flickering wood burning stove. The autumnal sunlight filtering through the ancient mullioned windows, I could smell the  exotic spices and orange peel. I could see, good old Uncle Toby working away in his quaint and old fashioned kitchen, helped by his little elfins, hand crafting the little cheerio’s, because they love children, and like to put a smile on their little faces. What comfort and joy.

The reality of course, is this high starch/sugar, failed science experiment, is churned out 24/7 in a  place that looks more akin to a petro chem. plant than a nice warm and cosy kitchen. Marketing men eh, they would sell depleted uranium toys to kids if there was any mileage in it. The lovely and healthful looking Clare Turnbull tells us “not much sugar” tell them about the starch content Clare, tell them what starch is, go on Clare be a devil.

Eddie



Starch or amylum is a carbohydrate consisting of a large number of glucose units joined by glycosidic bonds. Wiki

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uncle Toby the name sounds great, such a pity he is not on the children's side. Perhaps the picture to paint should be the bad dragon Uncle Toby and St Franziska (patron Saint of good dietiticians) comes to save the children? Starch, sugar it's all the same and should be avoided or at least kept to the absolute minimum.

Kay

Lowcarb team member said...

Does the advertising world know what its missing Eddie?
That first para is enough to bring in the job offers.
seriously you should consider writing a "low carb" advert.

I know it won't; be easy to find sponsors in the food industry but your many fans would enjoy it.

Kath

Anonymous said...

Uncle Toby is as bad as Uncle Kelloggs with this type of food

Lowcarb team member said...

You are too kind Kath. I don’t think I would ever get a job in food advertising. Good food does not have to be advertised. When did you last see an advert for avocado, fresh vegetables and so many of the foods we eat. Junk has to be hard sold ! Ferrari, and Patek Philippe don’t have to try too hard.

Eddie

Lowcarb team member said...

Very true! apart from eggs and the very occasional butter advert you don't see good food advertised,then again,if it was it would rock the boat big time,imagine advocating to ditch the junk and trans fats and eat proper grub like our forefathers did?...I imagine the 'Honey monster' and 'Tony the Tiger'*cough* erm,I mean Kelloggs,Quaker,Unilever,DUK,NHS,British Heart Foundation et al might be a little 'pi*sed' to say the least...A real shame,was looking forward to seeing Eddie's material on the TV!

Regards

Paul

Lowcarb team member said...

But that was just my point gentlemen.
An antidote to all the junk.!
Even just as a spoof in the Lowcarb World.

Your talents for parody and sarcasm Graham's for understated comedy and Paul's passion and sincerity has to be a winner.

It will be a long time before I forget those cartoons .

The Food Giants will be lining up offering you big bucks to stop.

Kath

Lynda said...

Claire goes under the name of "Miss Nutrition" on her twitter account. https://twitter.com/Miss_Nutrition

I shouldn't start on her again... she gets my blood pressure up!

Kath said...

Its very difficult to combat the idea of cereals for children.
Adults can talk of omitting bread and pasta, potatoes etc fronm their diet and everyone just assumes they want to lose weight.
tTrying to stop kids eating cereal is looked upon as tantamount to child abuse.

Lynda said...

To be honest, I'm OK with kids having some cereal - no sugar stuff anyway. I don't think that is where the problems of the world lie! My grandson for instance runs around all day and burns up any carbs he eats. It's all the other rubbish kids eat that bothers me.

Still, I don't thin a nutritionist should be selling cereals :)

Lisa said...

The day my son was discharged from hospital with type 1 diabetes was the day I threw out every box of breakfast cereal from my pantry. We have never eaten it since.