Total Pageviews

Sunday 19 January 2014

Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol is associated with fracture risk in diabetes patients – a nested case-control study

Abstract

Aim:

Diabetes Mellitus is associated with an increased risk of fractures, which is not explained fully by bone mineral density and common risk factors. The aim of this study is to investigate the association of medication and biochemical markers on the risk of fracture in a diabetes population.

Methods:


Nested case-control study based on Danish diabetes patients from The Danish National Hospital Discharge Registry. The cases of the study were diabetes patients with a fracture (n= 24,349) and controls were diabetes patients with no fracture (n=132,349). A total of 2,816 diabetes patients were available for an analysis of patient characteristics, co-morbidities, biochemical parameters and drug usage.

Results:


Patient age at the time of diabetes diagnosis, a diagnosis of previous fracture, an alcohol related diagnosis, total cholesterol level, and the usage of antidepressants, antiepileptics and insulin all increased the odds of fracture. Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL) levels decreased the odds of fracture, where the level of 3.04–5.96 mmol/l was optimal with regard to fracture risk.

Conclusion:

LDL may add to the understanding of fractures in diabetes patients and it may be added to current fracture risk models in diabetes patients.



Graham

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

More good news for statin 'deniers'.
Only last month my GP was worrying over my high LDL level (whilst my triglycerides were low), and I politely advised him where to put his medication suggestion.
And I remembered to smile. After all I have no issue with my GP. Only the medical advice foisted upon him.

Interesting study, Graham

Geoff J

Lowcarb team member said...

My GP focuses on TC Geoff, he ignores the fact that my lipids are fine. At least it's on my records that I'm intolerant to statins so I don't have to put up with the same crap as you.

Cheers
Graham

Lisa said...

Going through exact same issue with my doctor. They are obsessed with drugs!