Total Pageviews

Friday 17 January 2014

When you are an ‘Octanaut’ Cucumbers come in Handy !

People often ask what do low carbers eat for snacks? Well there are many snacks which fit the bill, and I list a few here. For instance, nuts such as macadamias, almonds, walnuts, brazils - and you don‘t need too many of them to fill that gap! Cut up some cheese such as cheddar, always great to have in the fridge, but you may prefer Double Gloucester as a change. There are endless and very tasty varieties out there! Olives are a good stand by too.

How about celery sticks, pepper sticks and cucumber !




Cucumber has many great qualities - see George at Worlds Healthiest Foods

Now I specifically mention cucumber because my grandchildren often eat it as a snack instead of sweets. When you are playing ‘Octanauts’ or ‘Fairy Princesses‘, if you feel a bit peckish mum always has a tasty low carb snack available. No, I am not jesting here! My daughter in law has always encouraged good healthy eating for the grandchildren, with a reduced carbohydrate intake, not at the level Eddie and I eat but sensible for the age of the children. They thrive on it, as does the daughter of Diet Doctor, Andreas Eenfeldt. Just see what she and her birthday guests were eating at her birthday party last Summer link here.   


So, although we may not be an ‘Octanaut’ or even a ‘Fairy Princess’ we could give some thought to what we eat ….. And living a low carb high fat lifestyle does have so many advantages.

A picture of the ones who love playing 'Octanauts' and 'Fairy Princesses'




Thanks for reading ... and enjoy the cucumbers and other low carb snacks.

If you don't know what an 'Octanaut' or 'Fairy Princess' play set looks like you do now! 






All the best Jan

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was thunderbirds in my childrens day,Yes cucumber and pepper sticks are usful snacks, I can tolerate some carrot sticks to,

Margret

Anonymous said...

Cowboys and Indians in my day and only three meals a day, no snacks.
John

Galina L. said...

I don't think it is reasonable to fight snacking practice tooth and nail ,especially for children, when everybody is doing it, and nut and cucumber are all good foods. But did you get snacks during your childhood? I didn't because adults back then (40 - 50 years ago) believed that giving children food between meals would spoil their appetite.

Anonymous said...

To answer Galina. No my sister and I just had three good meals. We did drink milk and water not much squash.We sat down for meals and were encouraged to eat all our food up.

Jean

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks for your comments.

No matter what games we play, or played, as children. It would always be my hope that for the majority of readers - you had a happy childhood. I know for some it is not always so but I think we as parents, all try to do our best for our children.

I used to enjoy playing in my parents garden and looked forward to all my three meals a day and no snacks in between. It was usually milk or water to drink with the occasional diluted orange squash, which I've never been fond of!

I do think there are too many so called handy snacks on sale that make it harder for children, teenagers and mums to resist. Especially with all the adverts and these snacks being so conveniently in a childs eye when shopping with their parent, although some stores are changing this.

The world is far from perfect and we can only guide and educate as best we can. What an adult chooses to do is still their choice.

But nowadays mine is LCHF - you knew that was coming didn't you?

Thanks for reading and sharing your views ... it's appreciated.

All the best Jan

Galina L. said...

I tried to limit snacks for my son too when he was growing because I wanted him to be hungry by a meal-time, from time to time he grabbed some cheese from a fridge or couple tablespoons of a sour-cream. I had some awkward moments with visiting children. It is normal in our neighborhood that people keep a second fridge inside their garage, door of the garage is always open during day time when children are playing, and they often run in to get soft drink or some sweet yogurt or another standard snack. My son wished we had a refrigerator designated for soft drinks and snacks too, but it was too much against out way of life.

My son is a student at a university now, and he told me that he saved a lot of money and time because he didn't get the habit to eat snacks and eats mostly two meals a day.

Galina L. said...

You were raised like me - without snacks, then somehow it came to be the standard practice, mostly due to a clever marketing - my guess.