Total Pageviews

Tuesday 3 June 2014

An Old Fashioned Beef and Vegetable Casserole .... tasty


  • A beef casserole is always included in my menu plans. I can remember as a child coming home from school and the wonderful smell that greeted me as I walked through the front door as the aroma of my mothers beef casserole wafted through to welcome me and the rest of the family home. This recipe idea is so similar to my mums, I thought it worth showing here. It is slightly more carbs per serving than some other meals, approx 14.5, but as always we bring you the idea and you can follow, amend each recipe to your individual taste. 

Ingredients:
Family meal serves 4 - 5
2 celery sticks, thickly sliced
1 onion chopped
2 big carrots, halved lengthways then 'chunkily' sliced
5 bay leaves
3 sprigs of thyme
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 beef stock cubes crumbled
850g stewing beef - cut into large chunks.

Method:
1. Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Put the kettle on. Put the celery, onion, carrots, bay leaves and thyme in a casserole with 1 tbsp oil and butter. Soften for 10 minutes, then stir in the flour until it doesn't look 'dusty', followed by the tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and beef stock cubes.
2. Gradually stir in 600ml hot water, then tip in the beef and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover and put in the oven for 2hours 30 minutes, then uncover and cook for 30 minutes to 1 hour more until the meat is really tender and the sauce is thickened.

The original recipe idea is here. I hope you enjoy it.

All the best Jan



4 comments:

Gwen said...

remove the flour, and you have wonderful beef soup. :)

and I agree; the smell of beef in a crock pot after a day away from the home is wonderful. :)

Lowcarb team member said...

I agree Gwen, dump the flour, and real healthy grub.

Thanks for your time and the comments you make here.

Eddie

Galina L. said...

I recently experimented couple times with using a pressure cooker for 30 - 45 minuts to cook meat cuts with a lot of connective tissue (brown meat on sides, add one inch of a liquid of your choice on a bottom). I found out it was even more juicy that in slow cooker or from an oven. Today I will experiment with lamb shanks + sauerkraut+ sauteed onion

Unknown said...

Yum! That looks great!