Total Pageviews

Thursday 16 July 2015

Diets with high-fat cheese, high-fat meat, or carbohydrate on cardiovascular risk markers in overweight postmenopausal women:

Abstract

Background: Heart associations recommend limited intake of saturated fat. However, effects of saturated fat on low-density lipoprotein (LDL)-cholesterol concentrations and cardiovascular disease risk might depend on nutrients and specific saturated fatty acids (SFAs) in food.
Objective: We explored the effects of cheese and meat as sources of SFAs or isocaloric replacement with carbohydrates on blood lipids, lipoproteins, and fecal excretion of fat and bile acids.
Design: The study was a randomized, crossover, open-label intervention in 14 overweight postmenopausal women. Three full-diet periods of 2-wk duration were provided separated by 2-wk washout periods. The isocaloric diets were as follows:1) a high-cheese (96–120-g) intervention [i.e., intervention containing cheese (CHEESE)], 2) a macronutrient-matched nondairy, high-meat control [i.e., nondairy control with a high content of high-fat processed and unprocessed meat in amounts matching the saturated fat content from cheese in the intervention containing cheese (MEAT)], and 3) a nondairy, low-fat, high-carbohydrate control (i.e., nondairy low-fat control in which the energy from cheese fat and protein was isocalorically replaced by carbohydrates and lean meat (CARB).
Results: The CHEESE diet caused a 5% higher high-density lipoprotein (HDL)-cholesterol concentration (P = 0.012), an 8% higher apo A-I concentration (P < 0.001), and a 5% lower apoB:apo A-I ratio (P = 0.008) than with the CARB diet. Also, the MEAT diet caused an 8% higher HDL-cholesterol concentration (P < 0.001) and a 4% higher apo A-I concentration (P = 0.033) than with the CARB diet. Total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, apoB, and triacylglycerol were similar with the 3 diets. Fecal fat excretion was 1.8 and 0.9 g higher with the CHEESE diet than with CARB and MEAT diets (P < 0.001 and P = 0.004, respectively) and 0.9 g higher with the MEAT diet than with the CARB diet (P = 0.005). CHEESE and MEAT diets caused higher fecal bile acid excretion than did the CARB diet (P < 0.05 and P = 0.006, respectively). The dominant type of bile acids excreted differed between CHEESE and MEAT diets.
Conclusions: Diets with cheese and meat as primary sources of SFAs cause higher HDL cholesterol and apo A-I and, therefore, appear to be less atherogenic than is a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet. Also, our findings confirm that cheese increases fecal fat excretion. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT01739153.
Another blow to the low fat high carbs advocates
Graham

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Read this with happiness. I eat cheese every day. I will continue to eat cheese every day.

Nona

Galina L. said...

It is interesting they separated LC meat from a LC cheese . On one hand I hope more LC research is coming our way, on another hand, I know that own N=1 is most important. I believe that in my case a meat is less fattening than a cheese.

DeniseinVA said...

I do find these articles so very interesting. Thanks so much! I am taking note as I absolutely love cheese though try to keep it down as I swear it gives me headaches. Thanks so much for visiting my travel journal posts, and leaving such lovely comments. I have my last one up now. Have a great week :)

Crafty Green Poet said...

It's interesting to read this, Too many doctors are still way behind on this kind of research, which encourages too many people to give up fats and take on unhealthy diets

tess said...

a small study, but a crossover (good thing).... i hope most people in the obesity field won't brush this under the rug simply because it IS small, as it sounds like a good one!

Lowcarb team member said...

To you all for taking time to comment and leave your thoughts for all to read and share ... thank you, it is appreciated.

Nona - long may you continue to enjoy your cheese ...

Galina - thanks as always for your support, I think there are others who may also find meat can be less fattening than cheese, but both appear in my LCHF menu plans. I always enjoy reading news / reviews about any LC research. But speaking personally ... I've lived the LCHF lifestyle for over seven years now and find it suits me very well, as I know others have to.

Denise - it is interesting to note your comment about cheese. I have a friend who cannot eat too much cheese because it results in headaches ... we do all have different tolerances.
... I have thoroughly enjoyed your travel journal on your blog, and will definitely come across and check out your latest, thank you.

Crafty Green Poet - welcome, and thanks for your comment. We do all still need to openly discuss and exchange our views and ideas about healthy lifestyle, only by doing that can people read and question for themselves.

Tess - every report or study must surely play it's part? The exchange of these items on blogs and forums can only help ... keep on spreading the word.

Once again - thanks to all, and have a great weekend.

All the best Jan