Total Pageviews

Sunday 13 December 2015

Dr Sarah Hallberg :Reverse type 2 diabetes with the proper diet

LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)- If you are one of the millions living with type 2 diabetes, experts say it can be reversed and it all starts with your diet.

Debra Jones is one of many people who has seen a reverse in her diabetes and other health issues, thanks to changing her diet.

“I was on insulin and diabetic medicine and I’m off of it now, my sugar stay real low, and I’m also off of my blood pressure medicine, it’s just, it’s just unbelievable,” said Jones.

IU Health Arnett Doctor Sarah Hallberg helped to create this diet for a weight loss study program that examines how a low carb diet can serve as a treatment for diabetes. The diet is low in carbs, moderate on protein intake and suggests high levels of fat.

The fat sources are all real food sources, our patients get fat from dairy, butter fat, heavy whipping cream, and coconut oil. Certainly meat sources for those people who choose to eat meat but you don’t have to, in order to follow a proper low carb high fat diet,” said Hallberg.

Lisa Asbury is another participant who took part in the diet study. She said she would encourage people with diabetes to join this weight loss program.

“This is the easiest way of eating that I have learned in my entire life, you can take your life back you don’t have to sit at home and be depressed and not leave home because you’re so heavy,” said Asbury.

Sarah Hallberg said with this consistent diet people can control blood sugar levels almost instantly. She also says the response she gets from participants drives her to help those in need.

“They cry because they are so happy, like I can’t believe I don’t have to take the insulin anymore or I can’t believe my blood sugars are normal, or they’ll cry more commonly and say why didn’t anybody tell me this before. But it really show, that we can use food as medicine,” said Hallberg.

Hallberg says this diet can also help to maintain blood sugar levels for people who have type 1 diabetes. With 500 people participating in the study, doctors will evaluate the diet over two years.

To learn more about taking part in the clinical trial click here.


Graham

4 comments:

Blogoratti said...

Great and informative, very nice of you to share. Greetings!

Lowcarb team member said...

Thank you for your comment.
We aim to inform!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Graham,

I've been reading about Dr Sarah Hallberg - your post has been really useful in learning a bit more,

Thank you - have a great day

Launna said...

I believe most self induced illnesses can be changed by eating healthy and exercising... I know it's not simple, if it were, we could all do it. It's a lot of work but totally worth it. I can't wait to get back to exercising... I miss it xox ♡♡