"Food Matters recently highlighted San Choy Bau by producing a vegan recipe idea... it's a crisp and crunchy vegan take on this popular dish. Infused with ginger, coriander and all the Asian flavors we know and love. This vegan san choy bau is a fast and healthy delight!
2 tsp coconut oil for pan frying
1 onion, finely diced
1 garlic clove, finely diced
1-inch piece of ginger, grated
1 chili, finely diced
400g mixed mushrooms (shiitake, enoki, oyster, button), chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 zucchini, grated
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tbsp Tamari
Juice of ½ lime
sea salt to taste
handful fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
⅓ cup peanuts, roughly crushed
6-10 cos lettuce leaves
WHAT TO DO
1. Heat frypan over medium-high heat. Add coconut oil and swirl to coat the base.
2. Add onion, garlic, ginger and chili. Stir-fry for a few minutes until lightly browned and fragrant.
3. Add the mixed mushrooms and sauté for 1 minute.
4. Add the zucchini, carrot, Tamari, coconut sugar, and lime juice. Stir- fry for 5 minutes until vegetables are soft. Season with salt.
5. Remove from heat and mix through fresh cilantro.
6. Spoon mixture into lettuce leaves and top with crushed peanuts and fresh cilantro."
All the best Jan