Total Pageviews

Thursday 29 September 2016

Walnut-coated salmon with a goat’s cheese and cauliflower mash


Walnuts are a delicious and crunchy topping for salmon, while the combination of earthy cauliflower and creamy goat's cheese makes an amazing mash, why not try it and see!

Ingredients:
Serves 4
100g walnuts, finely chopped
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 tsp za'atar
4 x 130g skinless salmon fillets
1 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
100g soft goat's cheese
320g tenderstem broccoli


Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6. Mix together the walnuts, honey, vinegar and za’atar. Place the salmon fillets on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Top each fillet with the walnut mixture, pressing down so it coats the skin. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until golden and crispy on top and the fish is opaque.
2. Meanwhile, boil the cauliflower florets for 10-12 minutes until soft. Drain and return to the pan. Cook over a gentle heat for a couple of minutes to dry it out. Add the goat's cheese and mash with a potato masher, then season with black pepper.
3. Meanwhile, steam the tenderstem broccoli for 8-10 minutes. Serve with the salmon and mash.

Each serving provides
15.3g carbohydrate 6.9g fibre 39.0g protein 41.4g fat

Original recipe idea from here


Did you know za'atar, pictured above, is a blend of herbs, sesame and salt. As a prepared condiment it is generally made with ground dried thyme, oregano, marjoram, or some combination thereof, mixed with toasted sesame seeds, and salt, although other spices such as sumac might also be added. You can read more details here 

We bring a variety of articles and recipe ideas to this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. 

All the best Jan

17 comments:

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

Yum - love the idea of salmon with walnuts and goats cheese...never heard of za'atar - sounds fascinating!

Jo said...

I could definitely go for walnuts. As you know, I'm not a lover of salmon but perhaps this would make it more palatable for me.

Christine said...

I've been meaning to try a cauliflower mash, I will use your recipe, thanks!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, this sounds and looks delicious. I would like the blend of herbs. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

Tom said...

Looks good

JFM said...

Looks yummy, Jan...but hubby won't eat and has never eaten salmon, cauliflower (which I love both), or goat cheese. He won't even try them. Since there are only the two of us...this one will not work. The closest he has been to eating salmon was salmon patties :)

The Best to You, Jan

Conniecrafter said...

I am always learning about new foods through your blog, my hubby would be thrilled if I tried a new recipe every day, he loves to experiment!!

This N That said...

The salmon looks wonderful..Not a fan of squash..all in my head..it's probably good..

Debby Ray said...

Hi Jan...thanks for your sweet comment on my post! This dish actually sounds really delicious! I'm glad that I'm still learning to eat new things (even at my age) and find many wonderful information and recipes by coming here! Enjoy the rest of your week :)

Anonymous said...

Not heard of za'atar so it was good to read a little more about it. This looks a delicious recipe.

Jenny S

Revrunner said...

Eating salmon tonight as a matter of fact. Out of season, though. :-(

Debbie said...

the salmon looks yummy!! i have done that with chicken!!!

happyone said...

I love walnuts. There is a walnut tree I pass on my walks. I've started picking up the fallen ones. Have to do a little research to find out when to crack them open and get the nuts out.

Unknown said...

I'm on keto diet for a while, and i already lost a lot of weight. This diet really turned my life better.
If you don't know where to start, or you just want to spice up your diet meals.
Check ou this book http://tastyketo.com/keto-cookbook/ .
Over 370 recipes, macros, meal plans and shopping list. It really made my life tastier :)

DeniseinVA said...

Oooooo, my new favorite food, cauliflower mash. Love the look of this meal. Must put it on the list next I go to the supermarket.

Bob Bushell said...

Yum yum, salmon and broccoli, my favourite.

Lisa said...

Learnt something new today! I wonder about trying cauliflower mash on my lot but I'm pretty sure I already know the reaction I'll get!
Lisa x