Total Pageviews

Sunday 2 July 2017

Pork with orange and poppy seed salad


Well pork, orange and poppy seeds can make a colourful and tasty plate of food, with the welcome addition of runner beans, cucumber and some crumbled feta cheese, who can resist!

Ingredients:
Serves Four
30ml (2tbsp) oil
1tsp smoked paprika
4 pork shoulder steaks
225g (7 1/2oz) runner beans, sliced
6 small oranges, peeled and sliced
1 cucumber, halved lengthways and sliced
1 red chilli, deseeded and sliced
4tsp poppy seeds
100g (3 1/2oz) feta, crumbled
handful fresh coriander, chopped


Method:
1. Mix 1 tbsp. oil with the paprika and brush the steaks. Heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat and cook for 4-5 minutes, until cooked through, with no remaining trace of pink. Remove from the pan, cover with foil and leave to rest.
2. Place the runner beans in a saucepan and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
3. Add the oranges, cucumber, chilli, poppy seeds, feta and coriander, then stir gently to combine.
4. Divide the salad onto plates and top with the sliced pork steaks.

Each serving:
Carbohydrate 18.7g Protein 41.8g Fibre 5.9g Fat 20g


From an original Tesco Real Food recipe here


Sejal Sukhadwala writes Poppy seeds "are the tiny, edible blue-grey or ivory-coloured seeds of the poppy flower. The former are more common in European cookery; and the latter in Indian cuisine. Although the poppy is the source of opium, its seeds lose their narcotic characteristics as they ripen.

Buyer's guide:
White poppy seeds are not widely available, but you will find them in Indian grocers.

Storage:
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator to prevent them from becoming rancid.

Preparation:
Because they’re so small and have a tendency to stick together, poppy seeds are often dry-roasted, or soaked and ground before use to make them easier to handle. In Central and Eastern Europe, they are sprinkled onto cakes, breads, biscuits and bagels, and added to potato, egg, pasta, cream and cheese dishes. In India, they are used as a spice or as a thickener in curries."

We bring a variety of recipe ideas to this blog, but please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

14 comments:

Catarina said...

This meal looks so good and tasty too!

only slightly confused said...

Fast easy and yummy....I'm going to make this one when my sister-in-law comes in August...I have a pork tenderloin I can cut up.

Mary Kirkland said...

That looks ad sounds really good.

Valerie-Jael said...

This sounds fantastic! Hugs, Valerie

Jenn Jilks said...

I don't think I even have any poppy seed! You do build great salads.
Thanks for being a faithful commenter. I know I post a lot of photos, but hubby deserves to see where we've been! He does all the driving!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, this looks and sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

Tom said...

...now that looks good!

Linda said...

This looks absolutely fantastic, Jan!

Sandra Cox said...

Even without the pork, I think this would be yummy.
YOU, have a great one.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've had this BIG note on my computer screen for days: VISIT JAN. I've been so busy I haven't had time to stop by until I finally took time to visit.

Although I'm a vegetarian, I'm incredibly impressed with this salad. I love poppy seeds and use them all the time in dressing, cakes, bread, and cupcakes. I enjoyed reading about their characteristics, too. That's one lovely salad, and would certainly be hard to resist.

Dewena said...

I can almost taste that! So pretty too!

peppylady (Dora) said...

It's been a while since I've had poppy seeds..Coffee is on

Lisa said...

I have been so distracted with lie her recently I have lots of your delicious posts to catch up. Orange and pork sounds like a really unusual combination.
I hope you have a great start to July.
Lisa x

Magic Love Crow said...

Looks amazing!! Thank you!