Total Pageviews

Saturday 4 November 2017

Is Eating While Standing Up Bad for You?

I don't know about you, but for me there is nothing better than to sit down with family and enjoy a home cooked real food meal! Of course it is also nice to do the same with friends ...

For those of us who lead busy lives (and who doesn't these days!) we may be guilty of snatching a quick bite to eat and almost eating it on the run!! In fact there are television adverts that show this !! Not for me, I enjoy sitting down to eat my food, thank you...

I came across an article titled ' Is Eating While Standing Up Bad for You?'
You may like to read more, here are some snippets.

"The trends of eating while standing, sitting and lying down have all had their moments in the spotlight.

For instance, eating while lying down was particularly fashionable in ancient Rome and Greece. Since then, sitting down to eat has become the most encouraged posture.



image from here

More recently, some people have started standing while eating, either as a way to save time or counter a sedentary office job. However, others insist that standing while eating may be harmful to digestion and lead to overeating.

This article investigates the effects of eating while standing up and whether it is harmful.

Your Posture's Effect on Digestion
Your posture can affect how quickly you digest food. Digestion is slowest when you’re lying down and quickest when you’re standing up and moving. However, there seems to be little difference between sitting and standing immediately after a meal.

Standing May Lead You to Overeat
Eating while standing up may increase the speed at which you eat, which could cause you to overeat and consume more calories. The few extra calories you’ll burn while standing probably won’t be enough to compensate.

It May Leave You Feeling Hungry
Eating while standing up may not cause you to feel hungrier. However, eating while standing and moving around may lead you to feel hungrier after a meal than you would have felt otherwise.

It May Help Reduce Reflux and Heartburn
Individuals with reflux or heartburn may benefit from standing upright while eating. Moreover, standing up and walking during a meal may speed digestion, further reducing the likelihood of reflux and heartburn.

It May Cause Bloating
Eating while standing up may increase gas and bloating by affecting eating speed and nutrient absorption.

Eating While Sitting Down May Promote Mindfulness
Standing up while eating may make it more difficult to practice mindful eating. Instead, try sitting down, distancing yourself from distractions and focusing all your senses on the meal.

The Bottom Line
Eating while standing may make you more prone to overeating, becoming hungrier faster or feeling bloated and gassy. However, there's little evidence to support the notion that eating while standing up is harmful. In fact, eating while standing up may be beneficial for reducing reflux and heartburn. That's not to say that eating while standing is necessarily more beneficial than eating in a proper sitting position. As long as you can slow down and eat mindfully, whether you eat sitting or standing appears to matter very little."

The above is only a snippet of the original article written by Alina Petre MS RD.
You can read it in full, with related links here


All the best Jan

11 comments:

Tom said...

...I've heard that it is not a good idea.

DeniseinVA said...

All very interesting points Jan, thank you.

Martha said...

Such interesting information. I like to sit down, take my time and enjoy my meal!

Christine said...

I agree, you need to relax and sit while eating or drinking.

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing the pros and cons.

Valerie-Jael said...

Interesting article, thanks for sharing. Hugs, Valerie

Prunella Pepperpot said...

I like to sit down and chew my food slowly enjoying every bite! Very interesting though!
have a wonderful weekend :)

Carol Blackburn said...

I tend to do a little bit of all 3; lying down, sitting and standing. It all depends on how my Fibro and joint problems are affecting me at any given time. I especially sit when I am sharing a meal with my hubby of course. Mostly though I'd have to go with standing the majority of the time because he leaves early and works late and if I am not doing housework, shopping or otherwise engaged I'll be having my meals while checking my computer which is at a standing station. Got all that???? :)

Conniecrafter said...

I feel the same way, I like to sit down and enjoy what I am eating, but my hubby will stand and eat his breakfast just to get it over with so he can start his day, although he sits for the other meals

Lisabella Russo said...

This is good to know, thank you!

Magic Love Crow said...

Very interesting! Thank you!