Total Pageviews

Tuesday 14 June 2011

Facts and Myths about the Atkins lifestyle.

It is common to hear misinformation about the Atkins lifestyle from almost everyone. What is fact and what is fiction? Many people have been discouraged from continuing to follow this program even when they have been successful losing weight, feeling better and improving their risk factors by uninformed or deliberately misleading comments.

How many people have regained their weight because of giving up the only program that worked for them or that they could follow long term?

Educating people about the facts is what is needed to dispel the many incorrect statements made by medical people, well meaning but uneducated friends or family and of course the media who sensationalizes and cherry-picks what it will report about Atkins.

http://www.controlcarb.com/ccn-myths.htm

4 comments:

Ali said...

The first time I 'did' Atkins I lost a shed load of weight and felt great.

But eventually the 'Doubting Thomases' (you'll get sick if you don't eat any carbs, etc., etc., etc.) 'got' to me and I let the (processed carbs and sugars (that was before I understood how damaging they are) back in.

As soon as I did that, the diet went out the window and I ended up back where I started.

Back then I could cope with some carbs from non-starchy veg and even an occasional piece of fruit and still lose weight, but now my body can cope with NO carbs at all. Zilch. Zero. Nada. The merest sniff of them and my weight creeps up.

Which is why I have no time for the naysayers any more. My body is telling me it doesn't want the carbs. Now finally I am listening to my body and understand what it is telling me and nobody else's opinion matters one jot.

Lowcarb team member said...

If you feel good you only need your weighing scales, a tape measure and a BG meter to know you are winning. Me, listen to the 'Doubting Thomases' naysayers and antis, never. I have never met a diabetic that held good numbers who had not drastically cut the carbs. The others can kid themselves, but they ain't kidding us.

Eddie

Unknown said...

There are no “special” foods for diabetes; rather, some food choices are better than others. A healthy diabetes diet is a diet that would benefit anyone, says Alison Massey, RD, LDN, CDE, a registered dietitian and diabetes educator at the Diabetes Center of Mercy Medical in Baltimore. The American Diabetes Association recommends a diet that is low in fat with meals centered around whole-grain foods, vegetables, and fruits.
Facts And Myths About Diabetes

Lowcarb team member said...

akira gulia said...
There are no “special” foods for diabetes; rather, some food choices are better than others. A healthy diabetes diet is a diet that would benefit anyone, says Alison Massey, RD, LDN, CDE, a registered dietitian and diabetes educator at the Diabetes Center of Mercy Medical in Baltimore. The American Diabetes Association recommends a diet that is low in fat with meals centered around whole-grain foods, vegetables, and fruits.

I'm afraid that is a load of bull akira, we do the exact opposite by following a LowCarb diet high in fat and no whole grain foods. This has served us well for nearly seven years giving excellent BG control on minimal or no medications.

Graham