Total Pageviews

Monday 6 June 2011

Is Sugar the Culprit for Increases in Diabetes Rates?

"Some say yes, and there is no doubt that US sugar consumption is increasing. Where in 1967, Americans consumed on average 114 pounds of sugar per capita each year, in 2003 it was 142 pounds. However, this data does not point to the fact that the way we eat sugar has changed significantly over this period. We have gone from consuming the majority of our sugar in home-cooked meals as raw or refined sugar, to eating it out of a package in the form of high-fructose corn syrup.
High-fructose corn syrup was developed over 30 years ago, and is now added to everything from soda to salad dressing. In fact, it is number one food additive in packaged and processed foods. It is estimated that Americans consume 61 pounds of high-fructose corn syrup each year."


http://www.topix.net/content/prweb/2011/04/is-sugar-the-culprit-for-increases-in-diabetes-rates-maple-leaf-meds-2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Doing some late night reading tonight as there always seems to be a lot going on. This caught my eye and I've just got to say I think sugar or the new sugar 'high fructose corn syrup' is in my opinion one of the causes for an increase in the number of people with diabetes. It is a strange thing to say but it took my recently diagnosed diabetes and the finding of the web site which then led me to the blog to open my eyes. Of course that is something else to think about as high sugar levels can lead to retinopathy and I for one cherish my eyesight. I like to see my grandchildren and I plan to go on seeing them for a long time yet.
Anyway I'll have to catch up on some more reading tomorrow.
Goodnight all from Peter