Total Pageviews

Thursday 12 January 2012

Statins Raise Diabetes Risk In Post-Menopausal Females.

Post-menopausal females who take statins have been found to have a higher risk of developing diabetes, researchers from various medical schools in Massachusetts and other US faculties reported in Archives of Internal Medicine. However, the authors emphasized that the benefits of statins - cholesterol-lowering medications - still outweigh the risks, even for females in the mentioned age-groups.

Their six-to-seven year study, involving thousands of women from the Women's Health Initiative, found that patients who had been prescribed certain types of statins had a 48% higher chance of subsequently being diagnosed with diabetes, compared to their counterparts who were not on those medications.
 
 
 
Graham
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

graham64 said...

"However, the authors emphasized that the benefits of statins - cholesterol-lowering medications - still outweigh the risks, even for females in the mentioned age-groups."

From what I have read statins may be benificial to 1.7%, based on that then they seem to be saying putting 48% at risk from diabetes and all the complications that can ensue is a price worth paying!

I suppose it's good news for the big Pharmas though.

Anonymous said...

In my opinion statins are best left alone, from personal experience I had nothing but problems.

Sheila

Anonymous said...

Hello Sheila - have just read your opinion about statins. I too had a not too good time with statins and often wonder if the good outweighs the bad. For me it was bad and I came off them. I follow a low carb lifestyle and at my age (mid 50's) it works for me. I read as much as I can on interesting and news worthy articles and do my best for me, encouraging others as much as I can at the various groups I belong to. Over the years I have to do what is best for me and what is best is no statins, I did have a chat with my Doctor about it and he reluctantly agreed.

Mai