Total Pageviews

Wednesday 19 September 2012

Dietician or as they prefer to be called dietition.


Whatever way you spell dietition it does not alter the fact they are usually as much use to a diabetic as a hat rack to a reindeer. Over the years I have lost count of stories and forum posts stating the usual diet of death was recommended. “eat starchy carbs with every meal” Dietitions remind me of one of my grandchildren’s Toy Story toys, you pull Woody’s string and blah blah blah. Years ago on the fun forum I was stalked by a dietition, every time I posted she was on my back like Quasimodo’s hump. At first I was flattered, when you get to my state of decrepitude any kind of female attention is gonna turn your head, yeah. Well, it started well, but these things usually end in tears, and it did.

She blew it, no, not me, the relationship. Every other post I was being warned my lowcarb diet was a one way ticket to Palookaville, scurvy, osteoporosis, constipation etc etc, and that was the less serious stuff. Cyber love swiftly turned to cyber hate, and some of the old timers at the forum of flog know the story. Suffice to say, I developed a morbid fear of dietitions, it turned particularly ugly when I received two threats of legal action and a phone call from the Cardiff plod. To cut a long story short, after three months in the Priory, I could sleep without having nightmares about parts of me falling off with scurvy. Take it from me, the stories you hear about dietitions ain’t no music hall joke, most of 'em are barking. Look no further than Hope Warshaw’s recommendations of  45-60% of your calories from carbohydrates, if you think I’m wrong. So, what’s prompted this outburst ? Well over on the flog today a new thread was started called Dietician. Check it out before it gets locked or edited to death. As always the usual suspects are praising the merits of the barking ones. 

The cherub.

Diet. The worlds best kept secret.

“Go with an open mind, not all on the forum have had bad experiences with dietitians. Make some notes before you go of what you need to ask and also make some notes of what he/she tells you whilst you are there.. If there is anything that is said that you do not understand, then tell him/her.”

Bonkers 

Diet. Cornflakes, chocolate digestives, Jammie Dodgers and Celebration chocolates.

“I had a very positive couple of appointments with a dietician, she was very knowledgeable and helpful and I actually learned a lot about food groups and nutrition.”

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33110&sid=966d286c4313c16af4b0afce2ce210c1

Eddie

5 comments:

tess said...

ah, the irony! ignorance personifying ignorance! :-)

i can be a bit of a language snob, being driven crazy by the way "simple" people take traditional expressions and, because they don't understand the archaic words, twist it into something they CAN fathom.... [when i lived in texas, i heard SO MANY examples of this, but the one that sticks in my head is butt-naked (instead of buck-)]

so when "dietician" becomes "dietition" -- a whole 'nother part-of-speech construction -- and the dietition is spouting ignorant tripe.... it's like hitting your funny-bone or being tickled! you have to laugh, but it's PAINFUL.

Lowcarb team member said...

“I had a very positive couple of appointments with a dietician, she was very knowledgeable and helpful and I actually learned a lot about food groups and nutrition.”

You missed the best part from Sid, this from a guy who's main focus over the last three years is to make negative comments about lowcarbers:

"She was absolutely fine with my then 60g a day low carb diet, I eat more now, and the only thing she commented on negatively was she said I should eat more oily fish, which didnt happen as I dont happen to like oily fish. Her final words to me were "LOW CARB" is the way forward"

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33110#p311260

Graham

Lowcarb team member said...

I remember the resident dietition on DCUK saying " Low Carb is yesterday low GI is the way to go"

Now phoenix the self proclaimed Type 2 expert (she's an insulin dependent 1.5) has spent the last four years trying to convince us low GI diets (based on 45-65% cals from carbs) are the best way forward.

Looking at the forum she's been wasting her time for four years.

Graham

Lowcarb team member said...

Yep but it gives these old ravers something to do.

Eddie

Ally666 said...

domed your all doomed, without potatos you wil die from scurvy

im a diertition so i know.

Allyxx