Total Pageviews

Saturday 12 October 2013

RANT

I heard from a friend in his mid-seventies living alone, had a triple - bypass a few years ago and is suffering from a rare form of congenital glaucoma, oh yes, and type 2 diabetes diagnosed last year. He is an intelligent, alert person who spends much of his time helping others in various ways.  Unfortunately for him, as is often the case with his generation, he regards the medical profession as infallible. He has never been overweight and is very active - walking, swimming and gardening. 

When he was first diagnosed, I gave him some advice about his diet and obtained a meter and strips for him. Unfortunately, he has never used the latter, as guess what? Yes, the nurse told him it wasn't necessary.

Just recently he has been worried about his retinal scan as last year's showed some changes.  He has also recently had an annual review {with the nurse} and rang me today to tell me all about it.
 

First he said he had been given metformin. Not the SR version of course. The nurse appeared to want him to consider this as some kind of reward for halving his HBA1C. Then he told me the numbers which he had been cagey about in the past. Last year's HBA1C had been 24. It is now "down " to 12 - so you see she was right. He hadn't needed to test.

Excuse me, but he hadn't received any dietary advice from her at all, as he is not overweight. Since reducing his carbs moderately, he has lost a stone in weight and has much more energy. The Nurse also told him that if metformin didn't work for him she would give him "something else.” He naturally took this to mean an alternative. She may have meant the SR metformin but I know these people and I think she meant additional medication. He was quite pleased with it all, convinced he had the whole thing under control. His eye condition had improved too. Still, a little niggling doubt remained.

He has been a little inclined to regard me as "The Voice of Doom" regarding his diabetes. Listening to Nursie was so much easier and more reassuring. She didn't demand that he stick pins in himself, for a start. So what did I do? I paid him the respect of telling him the truth so he could decide for himself.

She had prescribed metformin tablets to take him to December. I told him to go back and ask for the SR version if he had problems. I told him that 12 was still too high but that he should continue with his diet and that he would see a gradual steady reduction in his levels and that he should test, if only occasionally, he already has all the information on this. I told him that he must take control for himself and that I feared the nurse was being ageist in thinking he would not wish to be given the whole picture or couldn’t cope with it.

This is an intelligent and resilient man who watched a dear friend die horrifically from diabetes complications. He understands the seriousness of the condition. All he did wrong was to believe the HCP. The progress he has made, as he said himself, has been entirely due to the advice he had from me. I hope the ridiculously high numbers he has been running at, have not caused his heart any further damage. What were they thinking to leave him for so long without checking? Why only prescribe metformin now? I was a patient at the same Practice for many years, so I don't even consider writing to them as an option. It would be futile. A disgraceful state of affairs.

Some of these people truly have a licence to kill.

Kath

6 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

Good grief ! I had to read this twice ! a man with an HbA1c of 24% and was not tested immediately for Type 1 or not even given test strips or metformin which is supposed to be started in all patients with an hbA1c of 7.5% or above ! We already know that low carbing is never even mentioned by DN's but this outrage is even lower than a snakes belly at the bottom of an Abyss ! Thank god he has a friend in you Kath as we all know that 12%,although halved from what it was,is still a dangerous place for a diabetic,especially a cardiac patient and I do hope he listens to your good advice on diet as his GP's practice have failed him in an appalling way.
Thanks for highlighting this story and I hope others will take note that the Doctor and Nurse does NOT know best when it comes to treating diabetes.
I do hope your friend gets control soon and I really wish him all the best.

Paul

Lowcarb team member said...

Thanks Paul, I have learnt from this not to be discouraged when people appear not to be listening. Obviously I had planted a little seed and he does tend to run things past me although he is too proud and stubborn to ask!

I was particularly surprised at the extent to which he had listened about diet as some of it militated against the advice given to him for his cardiac condition - or appeared to.

Kath

Anonymous said...

These figures you mention are truly appalling. What is the NHS doing, what is his GP practise doing. Those figures you quote are disgusting, I'm so disgusted I've mentioned it twice.

I'm all for helping each other out but this 'takes the biscuit' which shamely is probably what his diabetic nurse is telling him to eat.

Kay

Lowcarb team member said...

I would like to be able to think it was a one-off Kay, but I don't.

My friend takes an active part in his cardio treatment,runs the support group too.

I think the HCPs often make assumptions about people based on various factors - rightly or wrongly and then take the easy way.

Kath

Anonymous said...

Of course 'meter and strips' do help but with costs being cut how many diabetics actually get them?

Lowcarb team member said...

I get test strips on prescription and have never been given an upper limit but only request them occasionally - just to make the point and buy most of them myself, and let my GP Practice know I do this.

One of my reasons for doing this is so it won't affect my medication, which works for me as it is. I have seen off several attempts to change it because of just 1mg of one med which makes me eligible for free strips.

In my case anyway it is irrelevant as no one would deny me them because of my eye condition but I would rather take control myself.

I know cost can be an issue for some people but I don't think it is the biggest issue now, cheaper test strips can be had. The real enemy is the policy of not recommending self testing.

I obtained a free meter and some strips for my friend from the company from whom I buy my own. I couldn't persuade him to use them because when he asked the nurse she discouraged him from doing so.

I think he might begin now.

Kath