Total Pageviews

Sunday 10 November 2013

Forxiga (Dapagliflozin) another useless type two diabetes medication !

Checking in at the forum of fun today, I learned of a drug I had not heard about before called Forxiga. Checking out the reduction in HbA1c using Forxiga plus metformin versus metformin plus a placebo. The manufactures state.

"FORXIGA® demonstrated significant reductions in HbA1c compared with placebo at the 24-week primary endpoint"

So, what did this wonder drug achieve over a placebo ? 1 % maybe 2% reduction in HbA1c ? the staggering reduction was 0.54 as can be seen here. They boast the hypo risks were the same as with the placebo, well as the drug was hardly more effective than the placebo that comes as no surprise.  But wait it gets better, check out the side effects here.

Yet again we hear about a drug that achieves next to nothing and only works when used with metformin. Which is pretty much the same as me saying to you, do you want to buy my expensive head ache pills, but they only work when taken with aspirin. Not only that but the reduction in pain will hardly be noticeable. 

I expect this drug will make a lot of money, but the impact on blood glucose levels will be minimal and for the average diabetic, will be completely negated by less than half a donut a day. Welcome to the crazy world of diabetes.

Eddie




3 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

Assuming the patient to be already on meformin then for most such a small reduction in HBA1C wouldn't seem worth the associated risk.

Those who are prescribed it will be guinea pigs. A similar reduction in HBA1C would probably be achieved very easily with diet and exercise.

I am acutely aware of the risks in the medication I take and certainly wouldn't consider this.

Why would anyone?

Kath

Anonymous said...

Uuuuuum HOLD ON. I take Forxiga and ONLY Forxiga. I take no other meds with it and literally over night it took my before meal sugars from 160 range to 110 range and my fasting sugars from 260 to 160...and has stayed that way for the past few days... I am on a Low Carb diet and get awesome results. Even before low carb, this drug reduced my A1C as well. Obviously, the better you eat, the better the results...but to say this is useless is a bogus claim.

Lindsay T2D for the past 7 years. Forxiga is the best thing that I have tried. (I was on Metformin in the past)

Anonymous said...

Google sent me here. Low carbing with this wonder drug is dangerous as I found out when it caused me to go into DKA.