Total Pageviews

Friday 28 March 2014

Insulin for type two diabetics part 1.

If you watched the video, and have read the latest studies and papers on injected insulin, for type two diabetics, I think you will agree it is a real eye opener.  The information now coming to light is no surprise to me. Over five years ago while reading Dr. Richard Bernstein's books and papers I read this. A heavily overweight type two diabetic can have up to three times the plasma insulin levels of a none diabetic. That hit me like a diamond bullet between the eyes. I had been thinking I was not making enough Insulin hence the extremely high blood glucose numbers. OK I knew insulin resistance was a big part of the equation, but clearly my system was awash with insulin. One of the tests he always carries out on his new type two patients is a plasma insulin level test. The NHS do not do this, for reasons of cost. This test can be so informative, for obvious reasons, and in my opinion should be done when HbA1c tests etc at the point diabetes is suspected. An R and R interval study test is another Bernstein corner stone, again not done by the NHS, this test can tell how far diabetic complications may or not have progressed. Again not done by the NHS.

So, we have a situation for someone like me, blood glucose levels at diagnosis so high no drugs could get me to a safe position. Only insulin could have got me from HbA1c twelve to mid fives. Insulin would have been a disaster as the the video shows in no uncertain terms. More insulin more insulin resistance, leading to more insulin needed and the never ending viscous circle. Only a low carb diet could have reduced my BG to non diabetic. Not only that, but spared me all the side effects and added risks of injected insulin. There are a hundred and one other reasons insulin should be the last resort. I will save that stuff for another day.

One point should be noted, current knowledge says the risk for type two diabetics injecting insulin is dose dependent. As was discussed in the locked DCUK thread referred to in my earlier post. So, how does a type two who has no choice other than to use insulin keep doses small ? Back to our old friend the low carb lifestyle and some moderate exercise. BTW Type one diabetics can become insulin resistant, this is known as double diabetes and is very difficult to control. As always the less the carbs, the less the insulin, the less the insulin the greater the control and minimal side effects from insulin toxicity.

You all know it make sense, why fight it !

To be continued.

Eddie

No comments: