Total Pageviews

Thursday 8 May 2014

Go To Work On An Egg !

Does anyone remember the ‘catch-phrase’ on the old 1950's advert “Go To Work On An Egg” ?

Well,  I do and to this day I think it’s an eggscellent idea ….sorry couldn’t resist that.

You may have seen some of my other references to starting my day with a great breakfast. Perhaps some ham and eggs, low carb sausage and eggs, scrambled eggs, soft boiled eggs. Yes, eggs are definitely the theme.

Our youngest grandchild loves eggs and happily tucks into them …however mum serves them. However, another of the grandchildren has an egg allergy so unfortunately eggs are off the menu …plenty of other good whole fresh food is available though. We have been told children can ‘grow out’ of their allergies - we will see.

Why am I talking Eggs you may be wondering. Well apart from cooking and eating them I also enjoy reading about them. I’m always amazed when I’m reminded about how nutritious they are.

Kris Gunnars at his awesome ‘Authority Nutrition’ Blog has recently written about Eggs and what a superfood they are. He details how nutritious they are and that eating up to three whole eggs a day is perfectly safe.

I’ve copied part of his article here, but do please use the link below and hop over and read more.


Kris’s words:


““Eggs are among the few foods that I would classify as “superfoods.” They are loaded with nutrients, some of which are rare in the modern diet. Here are 10 health benefits of eggs that have been confirmed in human studies.
1) Eggs Are Incredibly Nutritious

Eggs are among the most nutritious foods on the planet.
A whole egg contains all the nutrients required to turn a single cell into a baby chicken.
A single large boiled egg contains
Vitamin A: 6% of the RDA.
Folate: 5% of the RDA.
Vitamin B5: 7% of the RDA.
Vitamin B12: 9% of the RDA.
Vitamin B2: 15% of the RDA.
Phosphorus: 9% of the RDA.
Selenium: 22% of the RDA.
Eggs also contain decent amounts of Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Calcium and Zinc.


This is coming with 77 calories, 6 grams of protein and 5 grams of healthy fats.
Eggs also contain various other trace nutrients that are important for health.
Really… eggs are pretty much the  perfect food, they contain a little bit of almost every nutrient we need.


If you can get your hands on pastured or Omega-3 enriched eggs, then these are even better. They have more Omega-3s and are much higher in Vitamin A and E .””
He goes on to say


“Take Home Message the studies clearly show that eating up to 3 whole eggs per day is perfectly safe. There is no evidence that going beyond that is harmful, it is just “uncharted territory” as it hasn’t been studied. I personally eat about 3-6 whole eggs per day and my health has never been better.
Really… eggs are pretty much nature’s perfect food. On top of everything else, they are also cheap, easy to prepare, go with almost any food and taste awesome.”

Kris Gunnars awesome blog and link to article here. 

Enjoy your eggs at breakfast, lunch, or supper …. I know I do.

Thanks for reading

All the best Jan

3 comments:

Almond said...

I love eggs! Shame that cholesterol-phobia has some people shun them for skim milk and oats. Egg-whites cartons are very popular nowadays. I wonder where all the yolks go? I would happily buy cartons where there are only egg yolks.

Anonymous said...

I just love A L L of the egg

Gina

Galina L. said...

I used to have an egg allergy in my childhood. It used to be some sort of sensitivity until I went LCarbing. Then I could also be able to have occasional vine again, spent more than couple hours in the space where cats live, go off asthma medications. I don't know, may be gluten was my problem or something else worked in a such way.