Total Pageviews

Monday 12 May 2014

More dietary lunacy from a Dietitian

Rochester, Minnesota - No, don't eat unlimited amounts of foods just because they're free of carbs (carbohydrates). Carbs aren't your only dietary consideration.
Eating a healthy, portion-controlled diet helps you manage your blood sugar levels and reduces your risk of diabetes-related conditions, such as heart disease and stroke. The best way to do this is to choose a variety of nutritious foods - those rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber - and limit foods that are high in cholesterol, saturated fat and sodium.
Consider the following sample breakfast menus. Although they provide almost the same number of carbs, breakfast No. 2 is a better choice because it's considerably higher in nutrients and lower in calories, fat and cholesterol.
Breakfast No. 1
 Carbs (g)Cholesterol (mg)Fat (g)Calories
2 fried eggs137010144
2 sausage links14013150
3/4 cup hash browns41014.5310
1 slice white toast15.50183
2 teaspoons butter020868
1/2 cup orange juice140059
1 cup black coffee0002
Totals72.543046.5816

Breakfast No. 2
 Carbs (g)Cholesterol (mg)Fat (g)Calories
3/4 cup cornflakes180075
1/2 banana13.50053
1 cup low-fat milk12122.5102
1 slice wheat toast14.50187
1 tablespoon peanut butter30895
1/2 cup orange juice140059
1 cup black coffee0002
Totals751211.5473


Graham

12 comments:

FredT said...

the better breakfast would be item 1&2 of 1, perhaps 1/2 of item 3, the rest are not food.

Almond said...

Orange juice with ... Coffee?

Why?

Anonymous said...

My choice from Breakfast No 1 egg, sausage, butter, coffee WITH CREAM.

Breakfast No 2, no thank you.

Kay

tess said...

ONE cup of coffee? way too little in my humble opinion....

Lowcarb team member said...

It just goes to show how far removed from reality some dietitians are, as a diabetic I know eating either of the menus would send my BG into orbit.

Agree with Kay the sausage and eggs would be the only items I would eat.

Graham

Anonymous said...

White Toast, not for me. In fact bread, grains not for me.

Anonymous said...

If I had diabetes, I imagine this would make me pretty angry. I'm a little ashamed to say it was pretty funny on first read.

Lowcarb team member said...

@Spittin'chips

TBH honest I thought it was a spoof at first.

Graham

Lori Miller said...

I'm not sure which breakfast is worse: the breakfast of sugar or the breakfast of sugar and fat.

Anna Down Under said...

The eggs and sausage are all I would have ... well I do love peanut butter so I might have a spoonful if tempted but not on toast. I don't drink coffee.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Anna Down Under, the eggs and sausage are all I'd have plus a bacon slice. What would the dietitian make of that?
James

Galina L. said...

Breakfast #1 will keep you satisfied for 6 hours, especially if you skip hash-browns, toast and orange juice and add cream to your coffee.