Total Pageviews

Tuesday 20 May 2014

More on Insulin pumps.

The comment below came in today on my recent post regarding Insulin pumps, worth a new thread I reckon. I am sure many, including the poster, realised my post had an element of wind up. Here is a good comment on why insulin pumps may be the answer, in the search for safe and reliable BG control. I wish the writer the best of health and luck. Eddie

"There are a lot of assumptions in that post, which I disagree with. However, nutrition in this country is generally appalling, and there is no reason to believe that most type 1's consume the whole fresh foods that you advocate and I support. If most were supported to change what they eat, then yes, control for most type 1's would improve. Sadly, most type 1's are scared to challenge their professionals, with many continuing to listen to the nutrition advice provided as if it were gospel, particularly if they were unfortunate to be diagnosed as young children.

With that said, I'm a low carber, type 1 for 21 years, and struggled on MDI, having just been provided with a pump, which I'm incredibly grateful for. I have a current HBA1C of 6.4% but struggled with lows during the night and after exercise, and with high blood sugars in the morning caused by the dreaded dawn phenomenon. Waking up in the morning with my head feeling as if it has been repeatedly battered by a baseball bat in the middle of the night is not pleasant. 

I was extremely aggressive in trying to manage the condition under MDI, but there is simply no way to account for the background insulin needs on that system. It is a rare and fortunate person that can. MDI lacks flexibility and it is life limiting. I love exercise but a lack of confidence in pushing myself because of the prospect of serious lows dents confidence big time. You make it appear as if it is just a question of control and self-discipline in managing the condition. I would refute that. Low carb is a vital part of the equation but it is only one part. The pump will help me to be better in all aspects of my life and achieve control that is simply not possible on MDI. That is not a failure. For others, who have formed their identity as adolescents growing up jabbing themselves in front of friends and being stigmatised as different for that, the chance to live a more normal life should not be underestimated. The pump gives the chance for young people, in particular, to do that. 

With all that rambling said, keep up the good work. The blog is informative, controversial, and a good read.

Cheers." 

No comments: