Total Pageviews

Sunday 13 July 2014

Low carb works and keeps on working ! From the DCUK forum.

"I was diagnosed at the beginning of April as having T2 diabetes. I am relatively young and it did hit me quite hard at the start. I knew carbs had a big part to play on blood sugars so decided I would restrict my carb intake as well as cut all the usual sugary foods and drink. I no longer eat cakes. or chocolate or biscuits. I don't drink very often, but when I did it was beer or cider which I've stopped. I no longer have pizza, pasta, or potatoes. I try and stick with protein and lower carb foods such as cauli, green beans, salads etc. I do have some foods I know aren't 'good' I can't kick my bread habit, and I'm having some fruit which is probably at the higher end of the GI table, but you still have to live right!

Anyway,after a few weeks of feeling sorry for myself the above plan was put into action so it was the latter end of April really. A great side effect of low carbing is weightloss. At present I've lost 21lbs, but I'm still massively overweight. The main thing is that my HBA1C has reduced... greatly! In early April it was a staggering 78, last week I got the latest results which have dropped to 44!

I was speechless! I'm now in the 'prediabetic' range and while I don't think I can improve my diet much more I can still lose weight which will hopefully have an impact on those numbers too. I am not naive, I know this is control rather than cure. I know I cannot rest of my laurels and it's a a way of life now otherwise my BG will rocket again, but my god it feels super good to know that I have made a massive difference in only 3 months. My doctor wanted me on metformin right away, but my friendly Diabetic nurse wanted to see if I could reduce them on my own. I'm really looking forward to seeing her next week and finding out what the next plan is regarding my diabetes.

I just want to let some people know that while it feels so restrictive to cut or reduce carbs it can have a massive impact and to stick with it."


This uplifting success story is here.

So much for Sid Bonkers and his low carb anti cohorts eh. All over the world low carb is being hailed as the salvation for diabetics. It's low carbers 10 low carb antis 0. Nothing fires me up more, than to read a story like the above. It is fair to say lifestyle plays a big part in type two diabetes for many, there are other factors. That being said, if lifestyle can cause type two, then it is logical, a change of lifestyle can reverse the main symptom, highly elevated blood glucose numbers. Drugs will never be the answer.

Eddie

No comments: