Total Pageviews

Friday 7 August 2015

Why You Should Be Eating More Purple Cauliflower !


I do enjoy blogging, and have 'met' some great folks around 'blogland'. You so often read and discover new things, information ... and can also get ideas for a blog post! This happened recently when Ivy (The Happy Whisk) mentioned the purple head cauliflower on my recent Cauliflower Fried Rice post.

I've also read other articles about the purple cauliflower but now share this one, it makes for an interesting read, and cauliflower, of any colour fits well into my LCHF menu plans. Here is the article.

"A glass of red wine a day keeps the doctor away. We’ve all heard, or given, this glorious piece of advice, often right before we pop the cork on a mid-afternoon bottle of vino. However, what if you’re not a big drinker, or aren't particularly fond of headaches? Well there’s hope for you yet. The very same pigment-based benefits found in red wine are also found in the humble cauliflower.

Introducing the newest health food slogan (you heard it here first), a head a day keeps the doctor away. Well, at least a head of the purple stuff. You know, the freakishly purple cauliflower usually found snuggled up next to its pale brethren at your local market stall. At first glance, these unusual vegetables look like a GMO-Frankenstein experiment gone wrong, or an odd marketing ploy. (Remember purple ketchup?) In reality its simply a different variety of the common white cauliflower, only packed with anthocyanin, the same antioxidant found in red wine.

Cauliflower, part of the Brassicaceae family – which includes broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts and kale – is a super-food in its own right, packed with dietary fiber, folate and vitamin C. Over the years cauliflower has been bred in such a way that the head, or curd, develops without any of the natural pigments that would usually tint the bulbous head purple, green or orange.

Recently these colorful varieties have found their way back into the mainstream food market, each offering a unique pigment, making this healthy choice just a bit more interesting.

“Cauliflower is unique in that the different varieties contain three of the four major food pigments found in plants and animals: Anthocyanin, beta carotene and chlorophyll,” says food scientist Ryan Riddle.

Beta-carotene, the same compound that gives carrots (and those who eat too many of them) their rich orange color, is responsible for; you guessed it, orange cauliflower. Meanwhile, chlorophyll, the key biomolecule in photosynthesis, gives green cauliflower its Hulk-ish hue.

Riddle says not only do these pigments jazz up this otherwise drab vegetable but also they offer the body some interesting benefits.

“Beta-carotene, when consumed, metabolizes into vitamin A, which plays an important role in ocular heath. Chlorophyll is an antioxidant and acts as a sort of internal deodorant,” he says.

Although you can’t go wrong with any of the cauliflowers (they may even fight cancer), why not toss a purple head in your basket next time your at the market? You’ll appreciate it when, after a long day at the office, you can come home and enjoy a big bowl of the purple stuff — because you know, you earned it."

Article and photo from here

All the best Jan

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks a pretty colour and it's good for you to. Thanks.

Jenny S

Martha said...

I've never actually seen a purple cauliflower! I'm so curious now. I'll have to check out the different markets around here and see if I run across one.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Jan, you know that just the other day, I saw a purple head and was ready to reach for it but for some reason, I was distracted and the thing never made it to my shopping carriage! BUT YOU HAVE CONVINCED ME! For I do not drink red wine, I do eat purple grapes when I can get good ones, but why not try THIS? I love cauliflower, especially raw with homemade hummus! I bet it would be lovely raw...but maybe even lightly steamed then roasted with its white cousin with lots of garlic?

THANK YOU!

And also, thank you for coming to comment on my blog. XOXOOX

Crafty Green Poet said...

I should definitely try that,

Scooter Hussy said...

I love cauliflower, but my husband hates it. I'm still trying to find some good recipes that disguise it enough that he doesn't know it's in there!

Red Rose Alley said...

wow, I've never seen purple cauliflower before, Jan. It has many health benefits, but I think it would be a bit weird for me to even try it because of the color. Purple is my favorite color, but I never thought of eating purple food, except fruit, of course haha.

Enjoy the last of the summer days, Jan.

~Sheri

Down by the sea said...

I haven't seen a purple cauliflower I will be looking out for them now! Sarah x

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks to you all for your super comments, it's so lovely to read them.

Jenny - purple cauliflower, and how about purple sprouting broccoli? That's nice tasting too.

Martha - I will keep my fingers crossed that your local markets will have them! If you do get a chance, do please try one out, I'm sure you will like it.

Anita (CC&C) - next time you see a purple head cauliflower do please stretch out, buy it and give it a try. Your suggestions for serving cauliflower sound great ... thanks for sharing.

CGP - if you see them when you are out and about do give them a try. I know some UK gardeners grow there own!

Rachel - welcome to the blog, lovely to receive your comment. I'm sure there are ways you could disguise cauliflower! If using white cauliflower grating is a good way in soups, or how about in salad type dips? Give it a try and see.

Sheri - I will certainly do my best to enjoy these last summer months. I do agree purple cauliflower, purple broccoli, purple tomatoes may seem a little strange but some of these purple vegetables date back to pre 1890 have a look here http://www.rareseeds.com/cherokee-purple-tomato/

Sarah - do have a look at Farmers Markets, at one time some of the UK 'Morrisons' stores had purple cauliflowers. If all else fails perhaps grow some? Have a look here http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/cauliflower-seeds-graffiti-pid3643.htm

Thank you again for taking time to leave a comment.
Wishing you all a great weekend.

All the best Jan

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

I've got to look for this in my markets!

DeniseinVA said...

This is fascinating, I have never seen a head of purple cauliflower before. Thanks for the post Jan.

BobboRooney said...

I've seen them around, but I just cant get myself to pay $10 a head when the white one is less than $2 a head.

Lowcarb team member said...

Hi Amy - do hope you can find this type of cauliflower in your local market.

Hello Denise - there is some great food ... of all colours out there to be enjoyed.

Hi BobboRooney - yes, shame there is such a difference in price. Unfortunately this happens and we each have to decide what foods will be included in our weekly shopping trip. Perhaps consider growing some at home, if you have the garden / yard space?

Many thanks to you all for taking time to leave a comment, they are always great to read and much appreciated.

All the best Jan

Mary Kirkland said...

It has the same taste but for me it's all about how pretty it is in the dish. The purple color just gives my stir fry an extra nice look.

Lowcarb team member said...

Hi Mary
Yes, I agree the colour does make it look quite pretty on the plate.
There are so many great (and colourful) vegetables, that are very nutritious.

Thanks for your comment

All the best Jan