Total Pageviews

Saturday 26 March 2016

Eight years yesterday.

According to Jan's diary I have been a diabetic for eight years as of yesterday. Jan notes down just about everything, a true paper work star, which is just as well, because I would rather dig trenches than get involved with paperwork and officialdom.  I am far too busy sorting out fishing gear, than get involved with trivia such as paying the bills and getting cars insured etc. Typical bloke, 66 years of age, going on 17. affraid 

I am spoilt rotten, our morning routine. First one up makes the tea. Jan has a shower first, while I read all the on-line newspapers, then she cooks a full English breakfast (low carb version). After breakfast I have a shower, believe it or not, while showering Jan lays my clean clothes out on the bed, who said ya can't get the staff these days. She then informs me of her plans for the day, taking care not to include me in any of the activities, unless I have been given plenty of advanced warning (with lots of reminders). I have had a problem with authority all my life, the last thing I need is a wife playing the camp commandant.

All meal planning and cooking is down to Jan. In the first three months of low carb, I did most of the food selecting and cooking. Thereafter, and being happy Jan's training and culinary skills had reached the required standard, I kept out of the kitchen. On the rare occasions I am out shopping with Jan (I detest it) if I pick up a food item we have not had before, before my eyes focus on the label, she will say, no way far too carby, she is an expert on food labels and nutritional values etc. I never argue, the item goes back on the shelf, I don't need the grief of a lecture on blood glucose control. Well, not in public anyway.  mrgreen 

For a long while Jan kept away from the forum and blogging scene, she did join the forum of flog some years ago. She was swiftly banned, reason given just said "You're Eddie's Wife" just admitting to knowing me can get you banned from the flog. The good news is, as all know here, she has become very active on blogs and the low carb diabetic forum, which is a win win situation. It reduces my work load, and means the general populous hears a lot less of me, that can't be bad, just ask Mo and a few others. rofl 

So, there you have it, in the overall scheme of things, diabetes has been positive for me in many ways. If I had not become a diabetic, I doubt I would have had tests which discovered my heart was on it's last legs, sorted seven years ago, with angioplasty and stents. I have made some very good friends via blogs and forums (and a few enemies) I am probably eating the best food of my life, and I will argue with anyone, who says I have not got the best nurse in the world.


Eddie

3 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

Troll

You got mentioned at our excellent low carb forum.

http://lowcarbdiabetic.forumotion.co.uk/t2311-eight-years-yesterday#22621

Have a nice Easter, and thank you for all the work you put into raising our profile. Do you know, almost any publicity is good publicity. Even your stuff, clearly authored by a semi-illiterate oaf, is grist to our mill.

Eddie

Lynda said...

What a wonderful wife you have in Jan :) She has been lovely to me over the years on my blog. I always find your blog here an inspiration.

chris c said...

Ah bless! Yes she is one in a million. Must be to put up with you (meant in the nicest possible way of course )