Total Pageviews

Wednesday 16 March 2016

Midweek Meanderings and a Moussaka


Midweek already, where do the days go? I must admit that this morning my mind has been 'meandering' a little just like this river, well perhaps it's more of a stream, pictured here. We all know rivers can meander as they follow a twisting, turning, winding course. I guess paths too can take us on a 'meandering' route, especially country lanes and woodland walks... but can our mind meander? Well yes, I think they can and perhaps it is good to let them. Not whilst driving of course or sitting an important exam, but if we are fortunate to have some spare time why not relax and stop thinking about what we should be doing and just concentrate on nothing ...
Nothing I hear you say, isn't that difficult? Well yes, this can be difficult but if you can clear your mind and sit quietly for a few minutes it can be so refreshing... and by doing this you can end up thinking about all sorts of things from 'did I remember to lock the car' to 'yes pork roast would be nice for the weekend' it could even be 'weren't the flowers Aunt Grace bought around lovely' ... or, if you are Eddie, how about 'that was a great fish I caught the other day' ... or 'I must clean Jan's car for her' - that's my favourite LOL! - but somehow I don't really think that would come to mind without a few big hints!!!

Just taking time out may be a luxury for some, but it's time I enjoy.

So next time I sit quietly with a cuppa and have a 'meander' I will not feel guilty because sometimes it's just great to relax and gather your thoughts.

For instance it certainly helped me decide on tonight's midweek meal. It's this tasty Moussaka, and perhaps a glass of Merlot. 
Now you may have seen this before! I can recommend it.


Ingredients:
Serves Four
1 tbsp olive oil
800 g lamb mince
2 onions, chopped
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 cloves garlic, crushed
4 tomatoes, roughly chopped
300 ml low-salt lamb or veg stock (such as Kallo), made with a cube
1 kg aubergines, cut into 1cm slices
3 red peppers, quartered and de-seeded
300 g readymade watercress sauce
2 large egg yolks
80 g Caerphilly cheese, crumbled

Instructions are here

I wonder do you Meander sometimes?
Happy Meanderings ...

All the best Jan

15 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I think I am always meandering. This meal looks delicous, I wonder if I could replace the lamb with another choice. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

Gail said...

Your beautiful recipes are make me hungry.

Have a blessed week.

NCmountainwoman said...

Yes, I do meander a lot. The mountains are made for meandering. Love the recipe.

Bob Bushell said...

Beautiful 'meandering' river, and recipe, not good, take away the lamb and the aubergines, that's good for me.

chris c said...

The weather was dire so after the shopping I went for a meander in the car, looking at all the spring flowers in the villages. I can report the first baby lambs are now out in the fields, so I'll put this recipe behind my ear for later.

Debbie said...

looks pretty....i don't eat lamb!!!

Lisa said...

I like the word meander, I think it does us good to let the mind do that from time to time.
We always use Kallo stock cubes too!
Hope you enjoy your meal and the merlot.
Lisa x

Jo said...

I love moussaka but it's a meal I've never made myself, I really should.

Snowbird said...

A lovely post! I love that stream, what an unusual picture, it's all so flat and windy. It is good to give the mind a rest, you remind me that I must try meditation again, I used to find that extremely refreshing.xxx

Phil Slade said...

It's amazing how many recipes there are for moussaka. In Skiathos each year we sample a few but each is different and probably not authentic. We'll give yours a try.

Only one glass of wine? Not in Greece.

DeniseinVA said...

I have never tried moussaka before. Until now :) Looks delicious Jan, thanks again!

Red Rose Alley said...

The Moussaka looks delicious, Jan. I'm part Greek, and can you believe I've never tried this!! Thinking about "nothing in particular" is kind of like meditation maybe? So, good for you for trying to do this. :)

~Sheri

Martha said...

I do have those 'think of nothing' moments, Jan, and they are magical! My mind is also free of clutter when I work in the garden or focus on my photography. Both leisure activities are quite meditative.

As for moussaka, I love it! Being of Greek heritage, you can imagine that I'm quite familiar with it.

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jan,

Yummy! the Moussaka looks delicious. Yes, how quickly the week is going and before we know it, it will be the weekend
happy Thursday
hugs
Carolyn

Lowcarb team member said...

Eileen
you could perhaps try this recipe using beef mince ...

Gail
that can be a common problem when looking at tasty food ...

'NC'
yes your mountains just super for many walks and meanderings ...

Bob
it is a lovely looking river, how about a nice Cottage Pie instead, this is a nice recipe
http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/great-grub-tonight-cottage-pieshepards.html

Chris
nice to have a meander and look at the Spring flowers, great to see some baby lambs too

Debbie
yes a pretty stream / river. How about a Cottage Pie, see my reply to Bob above ...

Lisa
yes, meander a nice word, and I think it does our minds good too ...

Jo
now how about giving this recipe a try over Easter ...

Snowbird
I've never tried meditation, but I know a few who do and they think it's wonderful ...

Phil
yes, there are many recipes and variations for Moussaka. Just try out a few and see which ones are your favourite. Now with regards to wine, some may have one glass, whilst others have a few more, and possibly even ouzo ...

Denise
you could always give Moussaka a try out over Easter ...

Sheri
yes, "Thinking about "nothing in particular" is kind of like meditation maybe?" I wouldn't call it true meditation but I think it's a good way to relax ...

Martha
yes there are some leisure activities that can be so relaxing and meditative. I bet you make a delicious Moussaka ...

Carolyn
we love a Moussaka, they do seem to be a mid-week favourite ...

Many thanks to you all for taking time to share your thoughts and comments, it is appreciated.

All the best Jan