Total Pageviews

Friday 18 March 2016

Spinach and ricotta lasagne with courgette pasta


Some may say this dish is just "perfect for eating on an evening in springtime", and that "this spinach and ricotta lasagne with courgette pasta is a good alternative to a typical pasta bake" ... I think I would agree with them!

The recipe per serving works out at 19.3 g carbs so for some readers the carb count may be a little high. As you may have already read on this blog, we try and bring a variety of recipe ideas to this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

However, I just love the mix of spinach - ricotta and Parmesan cheese - and of course the Courgette pasta, a low carber's favourite!

Here are the ingredients you'll need:

For the white sauce:
50 g unsalted butter
50 g plain flour
600 ml semi-skimmed milk
nutmeg, to grate

For the lasagne:
600 g fresh baby spinach
25 g pine nuts
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
250 g ricotta cheese
50 g Parmesan, finely grated
freshly ground black pepper
3 large courgettes, thinly sliced

To make the white sauce:
1. Heat the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the milk. Bring almost to the boil, reduce the heat and then simmer for 4 minutes. Season with the freshly ground nutmeg

To make the lasagne:
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C / fan 180˚C / gas 6. Meanwhile, place the spinach in a large saucepan and add a splash of water. Cook over a medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes until wilted. You may need to do this in batches. Tip into a colander to drain and, when cool enough to handle, squeeze out all the excess moisture and roughly chop.

2. Place the pine nuts in a medium saucepan and carefully toast over a low heat. Set to one side. In the same pan, heat the oil, add the onion and gently cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes. Place the spinach in a bowl, add the onion mixture, ricotta and half the Parmesan. Season with black pepper and combine well.

3. To assemble, place a third of the courgettes in the base of a 2 litre baking dish. Add a third of the white sauce and half of the spinach mixture. Scatter with pine nuts and add another third of courgettes. Add another third of white sauce and the remaining spinach mixture. Scatter with the remaining pine nuts and use the remainder of the courgette. Finally add the remainder of the white sauce and finish with a scattering of Parmesan.

4. Bake for 45 minutes until golden and bubbling.

The above amounts will serve six, so obviously amend as necessary, to suit the number of people who will be enjoying this meal with you.

Lay the table, open the chilled white wine, and enjoy ...
Original recipe idea from here 


Bon Appetit

All the best Jan

22 comments:

Tom said...

I need to try this

Jo said...

I get fed up with pasta sometimes so this would make a great alternative, something a bit lighter for the summer months.

Martha said...

I've never had anything like this and I'm game to try! Looks so delicious. I hope you are having a lovely day!

Linda Kay said...

I've tried this type of lasagna recipe and found it really delicious. Thanks for the reminder.

Gail said...

Looks amazingly good and good for you, too. Can't beat that!

Flip flop weather soon for you, too.

Have a great weekend.

a writing place said...

Must look up Courgette pasta.

Gentle Spring hugs,
Tessa

Bob Bushell said...

Like you, Eddie, I would love to taste your lasagne and drop of white wine.

DeniseinVA said...

My goodness, just when I think you can't put on a more delicious recipe, here it is :) Thank you so much!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the spinach lasagna is one dish I have prepared. Popular with my hubby! Thanks for sharing your recipe. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

Debbie said...

it sounds divine!!! with spinach and pine nuts, you just can't go wrong!!!!

Stacey Nell said...

Hi,

This looks absolutely wonderful and the best thing about it is that it's actually very healthy. I'd love to try this and maybe make it an occasional meal variant for my diet plan that's specific for type 2 diabetes. I don't think I need to worry though, since my blood tests have been coming back normal with the help of my diet plan. The meal plan basically jumpstarted my pancreas and normalized my insulin production, it's pretty great.

Hit me up on my site if you want to know more http://goo.gl/wMI2XO.

Cheers,
Stacey

Lynda said...

Um... looks great! I'm waiting for your comments on your new "eatwell guide"... it's a shocker!! https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-eatwell-guide

Linda P said...

This recipe for a lasagna dish is a favourite especially using fresh pasta sheets. Lovely and light.

TexWisGirl said...

that looks delicious.

Kezzie said...

Jan, that looks and sounds absolutely delicious!! I love lasagna anyway but with courgette -Mmmmmm!!

NCmountainwoman said...

Definitely going on the list to serve. Sounds delicious.

Lowcarb team member said...

This has been a popular post with many reads, and I have a feeling this dish may be appearing on peoples tables soon! Thanks to all who have not only read but left comments too, they are always great to receive, read and share.

Tom - I hope you may try this soon, it's a lovely dish, perfect for Spring or Summer!

Jo - yes, 'courgette pasta' does give a great alternative to the more commonly used pasta. It's great for diabetics and low carbers but it really is a great dish for all to try, and I hope you do soon!

Martha - do go and get the ingredients soon and give this dish a try. I'm sure you will like it!

Linda - so you already know how good this is! Hope you enjoy 'courgette pasta' again soon!

Gail - it's a win win situation from this dish, to flip flop weather and the weekend!

Tessa - courgette pasta or courgetti is a great alternative, do have a look around for recipe ideas, but you may enjoy this video http://deliciouslyella.com/video-how-to-make-courgette-pasta/

Bob - yes, a glass (or two) of chilled white wine does go well with this tasty dish!

Denise - food don't you just love it! Will I ever get around to trying all the recipes in my 'must try list'! I'm still not sure, but I love sharing them too!

Eileen - spinach is a great vegetable in a lasagna, with fish and even scrambled eggs!

Debbie - divine, I like that word! Pine nuts can be a great cooking addition!

Stacey - a low carb, high fat, moderate protein diet / lifestyle can help so many not only diabetics. Can I also direct you to this site here, which is free:
www.lowcarbdiabetic.co.uk

Lynda - this is a great recipe. Did you also read what Zoe Harcombe had to say about this Eatwell Guide? She said, "There is so much so wrong with the plate/guide, I hardly know where to start. Let’s focus on the three main issues:" do please go and read her blog post it's here:
http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2016/03/eatwell-guide/

Linda P - fresh pasta sheets are popular, but if you are diabetic then using a pasta alternative such as courgettes or aubergines (eggplants) can help to keep blood sugars lower. I think this recipe alternative is great for the Spring and Summer months - perhaps give it a try and see what you think!

Tex - this dish is GREAT, delicious too!

Kezzie - so pleased you like this, and with courgettes as your pasta alternative it is most "Mmmmmm"!

'NC' - I hope you enjoy serving and tasting this dish soon!

Once again thanks to you all for your comments, and as it's the 19th March as I type this, that means the weekend is upon us. I do hope you are all having a good one.

All the best Jan

Snowbird said...

Oh my, how delicious that looks!xxx

chris c said...

If you get bored try it again but with aubergine (eggplant) instead of the courgettes (zucchini).

I just ate something similar but less complicated, but with broccoli. Didn't bother with the white sauce but melted cheddar over the top. I like recipes that can be adapted to what I have in the fridge/cupboards.

Lowcarb team member said...

Snowbird - this really is a great Spring-time dish.
Thanks for your comment.

All the best Jan

Lowcarb team member said...

Chris - great suggestions. I so agree with you - adapt a recipe to what you may have in your larder or fridge, they usually work well.
Many thanks for your comments.

All the best Jan

Angie said...

All of the recipes look fantastic, but I am leaning toward the lasagna!