Total Pageviews

Monday 26 September 2016

Test to see if you’ll get statins side-effects – available 2020

Eight million people take statins in the UK, which help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart attack, but many suffer side effects. A major study of more than 100,000 people who’d been prescribed statins from 2000 to 2008 found that 17 percent of patients reported side effects such as muscle pain, nausea, and liver and nervous system problems, tiredness or shortness of breath.

Two-thirds of those who reported side effects stopped taking the drugs, and, the study found, half of those prescribed statins quit taking them at least temporarily, while 20 per cent quit for more than a year. However, the British Heart Foundation points out the vast majority of people who take them will not have a problem.

Now a team at Dundee University are developing a simple saliva and blood test that looks for particular compounds that predict whether someone will suffer adverse reactions when they take these pills. The scientists are hoping a commercially available test could become a reality by 2020.

http://www.hippocraticpost.com/

Graham

4 comments:

NCmountainwoman said...

Count me among the ones with major side effect. I felt as if my entire body was encased in a lead suit. Two weeks off the simvistatin and the symptoms went away. Thank goodness I have no lingering effects.

My cholesterol levels were never all that bad, but as guidelines changed, my levels were considered very slightly elevated.

FredT said...

"which help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart attack"

Where is the proof or this statement?

Debbie said...

Interesting!! I have been on Lipitor for years and I seriously have no idea if I am having any side effects, with so many symptoms attributed to MS!

Latane Barton said...

Thank you so much for the comments you posted on my blog 'living life on Main Street'. It meant so much that you appreciated my painting of the red flowers. I hope you will come back to see me again.