Total Pageviews

Sunday 6 November 2016

Portobello Mushroom with Pate and Cheese : Perfect For a LCHF lunch


Well according to the many articles I’ve read via the internet … mushrooms are good for you. It’s generally thought they are more of an adult food than a children’s food? Not too sure about that, I can remember tucking into them with a deliciously tasting grilled steak, when I was in my teens. And earlier than my teens, when my dear mum used to make a lovely beef steak pie with mushrooms … always served with a thick gravy ooohh it tasted great !

Nowadays there are so many different types of mushrooms available in our Farmers Markets and Supermarkets etc. I have read many articles that quote.

“They are a good source of the many B Vitamins which help provide energy by breaking down proteins, fats and carbohydrates, and play a key role in the nervous system ...

Importantly, in the absence of sunlight or supplements, eating mushrooms is a good way to up your vitamin D levels. They are the only vegetarian food source of vitamin D, because ergosterols in mushrooms convert to vitamin D when exposed to light. There is always strong feelings and thoughts about Vitamin D deficiency, which is thought to be quite widespread in Britain.

Research also suggests that mushrooms may have anti-cancer properties, thanks to their rich array of phytochemicals and unique nutrient profile”….

These are words taken from a variety of articles available on the internet, not mine, so if you should require more information please have a read around the many articles available.

Having mushrooms in the house is second nature to me, as is having eggs in the house, but a word of warning, I know some people do go mushroom picking in local woods and fields but I would stress this can be incredibly dangerous, if you don’t know your mushrooms, as some can be poisonous …I play safe and buy from my local supermarket.

Have a think about how you could incorporate mushrooms into your menu plans. You could for instance use a grilled portobello mushroom in place of a bun for turkey or beef burgers. Or how about a medley of sauted mushrooms, they are just mouth-wateringly delicious.

Or how about this easy recipe idea, pictured above, It's Portobello mushrooms with pate and cheddar cheese. This can work well as a starter, snack or a main course served with a salad...
Portobello mushrooms filled with pate. Cook in an oven at 200c (400f / Gas Mark 6) for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, cover with grated cheddar cheese and cook for a further 5 minutes. Easy, lowcarb and tastes great... we enjoyed it for lunch today, as we are eating our main meal this evening.

All the best Jan

12 comments:

Jo said...

That looks tasty. I must admit that I didn't like mushrooms as a child but I can't get enough of them now.

Christine said...

Great idea!

NCmountainwoman said...

We all love mushrooms and have them several times a week. We often eat portobello sandwiches. Yummy.

happyone said...

What a perfect lunch that would be.

Kezzie said...

I wish I could say my tastes have changed since I was a girl Jan, but I still absolutely detest mushrooms! I know they are good for us but yuuuuuuck, they remind me of slugs!!

Gail said...

So excited. Found a Medusa's Head or Bearded Tooth mushroom today. Enough to feed four people!!! Nothing like fresh and wild.

My daughter is going to try and reassemble our surprise find.

Have a blessed week.

Carla from The River said...

Hi,
LOVE mushrooms.

Thank you for the comments on my blog.
The funeral for the officer went well. The brotherhood of the officers is something I can not even put into words. Just amazing. The funeral was 2 blocks from our home. The procession was an hour long.
Thank you for the prayers and love.
Carla

Martha said...

What a lovely idea for a lunch!

Bob Bushell said...

Nice as a lunch.

Red Rose Alley said...

This looks amazing, Jan. I am such a mushroom lover, and smothered with melted cheese sounds just the way to go. :)

~Sheri

Magic Love Crow said...

Excellent!

Lisa said...

My son has always liked raw mushrooms, even when he was really little he did't like them cooked but would quite happily nibble on a raw one.
Lisa x